Seth Godin is running an alternative MBA program that has, at its heart, a new vision of learning about being a businessperson. Nine participants are currently learning about entrepreneurship, freelancing and marketing in a practical, real world apprenticeship with Godin rather than going the traditional business school route. You can follow the group at the […]
Seth Godin is running an alternative MBA program that has, at its heart, a new vision of learning about being a businessperson. Nine participants are currently learning about entrepreneurship, freelancing and marketing in a practical, real world apprenticeship with Godin rather than going the traditional business school route.
You can follow the group at the excellent SAMBA (Six Month MBA) blog, where they’ve recently come up with 999 new business ideas. The list is a testament to creative thinking that can act as a great catalyst for developing your own brilliant new ideas.
The first 20 to get your brain moving:
1. Prepackaged school supplies based on the lists from the school districts
2. Incubator site providing office space, hosting, etc. for startups that are seed funded.
3. In-grocery store prep service (buy vegetables first and drop them off to be chopped to your specs – pick them up on the way to checkout)
4. A website that you can submit your design and work with vendors to manufacture your own clothes line.
5. Online discount brokerage that has no closing hours and provides access to all exchanges throughout the world and handles currency and legal issues automatically.
6. Stamphead, where stamps can be custom made in the likeness of an avatar the user creates.
7. Aggregator site for affiliate marketers to collect daily reports. Would work on a tiered pricing structure giving you more info the higher up you go. Basic would be for people like me who just want to know if they made something and how much; advanced would pull down all available data.
8. A gadget to cook beans/lentils/vegetables/rice for the same amount of time (quicker than what can be done in a slow cooker.)
9. Herbal Flavored Gum. MMM…rosemary.
10. Church issued credit card with automatic 10% for religious tithing
11. Brainstorm Consulting – Teach companies how to brainstorm
12. Create a website for non-profits and a list of their projects/needs and a similar list for foundations. Its a central meeting place for people to look for funding from the right people.
13. Tutorial videos for technological skills (word processing, internet applications, email) for people who don’t know how to navigate technology but need it.
14. Website where musicians can collaborate on tracks
15. Signs in restaurants on menus that list all the ingredients.
16. Network of chefs that rotate being personal chefs
17. Nuclear waste storage facilities completely removed from society.
18. Hedge fund that makes bridge loans to homeowners facing foreclosure.
19. Small-town / city – websites (through city and Chamber of Commerce) – most small town websites are terrible
20. whistle It.com: download audio of people whistling popular songs.