Chef Jamie Oliver believes that food is important in our homes to bind us to the “best bits” of life. In this talk at TED, he says that there is an awful reality: America is the unhealthiest country in the world. The food landscape America has built around us has shortened the lifespan of our children so that now obesity costs the healthcare sector more than smoking.
In this video he gives the following recommendations on how to fix the problem:
* Supermarkets need an ambassador in every store to teach us how to cook
* Food brands need to put food education at the heart of their businesses
* Government must ‘work’ with the fast-food industry to wean us off the sugar, fats and salts
* Schools need to cook proper local food onsite (Every child needs to leave school knowing how to cook)
* Corporations need to look at how they feed staff
Jamie says that if 1 person teaches 3 people how to cook and that repeats 25 times, the problem will be solved. He ends by saying that it is incredibly important to make this change. If America does it, then the rest of the world will follow.