Launching the Autumn-Winter 2010 collection as a fully interactive, motion-responsive online experience creates another selling platform for the brand.
Burberry has launched what is being billed as the first interactive extension of a luxury brand. By launching the Autumn-Winter 2010 collection as a fully interactive, motion-responsive experience, users are able to click, drag and control how they view each item of merchandise featured on the ad and seasonal collection – including merchandise, products and models.
Burberry has been an innovator in digital marketing, particular among luxury brands, acting as a first-mover with initiatives that include:
- Streaming all its fashion shows online since September 2009
- Being the first to stream their shows in 3D
- Making items featured in fashion shows available to order online during and immediately after the show
- Creating a new selling platform in the world of haute couture, bringing runway to reality faster than other competitors brands can manage – items ordered online are available for delivery within six to eight weeks, rather than the typical three to six months
- Used the men’s show to launch a musical sideline, selling its first Burberry Acoustic track, “Alleyway” by Life in Film
Perhaps most impressive are the results Burberry has seen from digitizing its fashion shows and merchandise – something that until now has been guarded by high fashion brands to develop the perception of exclusivity to a limited audience.
During their March financial statement, Burberry reported a 7% increase in sales as consumers renewed their appetite for luxury brands, subsequently citing the success of its digital efforts. A larger proportion of total marketing spend as a percent of sales was shifted to digital marketing as a result of this.
In addition, the brand has experienced increased brand awareness and reach, new customers, the addition of over 1MM Facebook fans. Artofthetrench.com, which we previously discussed, received over seven million page views since its launch in November 2009.