Rupert Murdoch’s iPad application, The Daily, hedges that print newspapers are a relic of the past.
Yesterday, Rubert Murdoch released The Daily, an all-purpose news application built solely for the iPad that may potentially shift our consumption of news for the foreseeable future. The publication offers the digital equivalent of a recurring magazine subscription that will automatically re-bill to a customer’s credit card, all for 14 cents a day; 40 dollars a year.
Some highlights include:
- 100 pages of original news, entertainment, provided every single day
- Original video content
- A selection of articles read aloud
- 360 degree interactive photos
- Web-friendly version of articles that can be easily shared by Twitter, Facebook, and e-mail.
- In app comments, including audio comments
- Local weather and news on your favorite sports teams
- Crossword and Sodoku
Rupert Murdoch comments reflect an acuity for current circumstance and clear vision for the future:
New times demand new journalism. (It is the) Best of traditional journalism combined with the best of contemporary technology. 360-degree photographs. Images that respond to the touch. The iPad demands that we completely re-imagine our craft.