Barbie manufacturer Mattel, Inc. last week announced the company’s continuing attempts to be green and responsible with its “Design It, Make It, Live It” sustainability strategy. Focusing on reducing its environmental impact from the design of products through to their distribution, the company outlined its progress in a number of areas.
- Packaging improvements: Wire/twist ties reduced by over 90%, conducted a life cycle assessment to identify improvements.
- Resource Expeditions: 16 global expeditions and 250 initiatives have saved an estimated 22 million kWh and 9 million gallons of water.
- Composting: Facility in Mexico diverted nearly 15.6 tonnes of waste from local landfill in one year.
- Cafe improvements: More locally-grown produce, better recycling processes, fewer non-recyclable materials.
- Daycare composting and Organic garden: Employees’ children are educated about sustainability, feed worms in a composting bin and tend the vegetable garden.
Mattel will also be hosting its second Electronics Waste Recycling event this spring and has partnered with ‘Heal the Bay’, granting $10,000 to support beach clean-ups.