The founder of StudioRiley celebrates the emergence of a new class of creative professionals giving that give us alternative narratives about the world, and new sources of ideas.
Will social media kill Western storytelling. Chris Riley, of studioriley asked the audience at PSFK CONFERENCE SAN FRANCISCO to listen to the globes’ creative voices. While traditional media has developed a single narrative around culture and the world, social media has allowed a generation of storytellers to counter the status quo and tell better stories about people, places and ideas.
Some key points from Chris’ talk:
- We are a world of many emerging voices, not one monotonous voice, thanks to the internet
- The West sits in a “very powerful media narrative, oblivious to the narrative of others”
- The ability to gain insight into how creativity manifests itself in different cultures provides new and eye-opening sources of inspiration.
- Other storytellers, other narratives, will challenge the way you think
- “Unless you’re listening to the really powerful storytellers, you’ll never really understand the world”
- These storytellers are an emerging professional class of creative photographers, writers and artists
- They are not confined to Western institutions and are creating a colorful world of many voices
Want access to more inspiration and ideas? Check out PSFK’s updated video page with content from all of our past conferences.