Will social media kill Western storytelling. Chris Riley, of studioriley asked the audience at PSFK CONFERENCE SAN FRANCISCO to listen to the globes’ creative voices. While traditional media has developed a single narrative around culture and the world, social media has allowed a generation of storytellers to counter the status quo and tell better stories about people, places and ideas.
Some key points from Chris’ talk:
- We are a world of many emerging voices, not one monotonous voice, thanks to the internet
- The West sits in a “very powerful media narrative, oblivious to the narrative of others”
- The ability to gain insight into how creativity manifests itself in different cultures provides new and eye-opening sources of inspiration.
- Other storytellers, other narratives, will challenge the way you think
- “Unless you’re listening to the really powerful storytellers, you’ll never really understand the world”
- These storytellers are an emerging professional class of creative photographers, writers and artists
- They are not confined to Western institutions and are creating a colorful world of many voices
Want access to more inspiration and ideas? Check out PSFK’s updated video page with content from all of our past conferences.