We’re back with our weekly recap of the interesting and inspiring, with a particular eye for what shifts and ideas brands should be tracking, evaluating and acting on. This is a collection of some standout business strategy, brand-building and digital media stories catching our attention.
Discussions Shaping Strategy, Creativity & Innovation
- The Myth of Overnight Success (Angry Birds was Rovio’s 52nd Game)
- The Case Against Google (on privacy, the evolution of search, and Google’s changing business model)
- Don’t Build Products. Build Platforms.
- The (Present) and Future of Business: Speed and Nowness
- How Superconnectivity Kills Economics
- An Interview with Cyborg Anthropologist Amber Case (on the human relationship to technology)
- When Global Money Talks, It Speaks English
- Amazon vs. Apple: Competing Echosystem Strategies
- UK Is the Most ‘Internet-Based’ Major Economy
- Marketing Startups: Geeks Aren’t Known for their Social Skills
- John Hegarty: Advertising is Suffering from A Creative Deficit
- Myths of Right-Brained Creativity
- School Report 2012: Do Kids Want to Code in Class?
Notable Ideas: New Products, Platforms and Projects
- Senate Passes Crowdfunding Bill
- MIT’s Open Documentary Lab: Part Think Tank, Part Incubator for Filmmakers and Hackers
- Jolicloud (a home – in the cloud – for your personal/social content)
- Does Using Cash Lead You To Spend More or Less? (on two months of living cash-lessly)
- ispinterest the next…?
- Ferran Adrià to Launch LeBullipedia, A Culinary Wikipedia
- CloudFactory Can Put 1MM Cloud Workers Into Business
- Yummly‘s Billion Dollar Digital Kitchen Platform
Brands, Companies and Entities of Note (some more obvious than others)
- Charity:Water Birthday Pledge
- #onlyonTwitter (on Twitter’s 6th anniversary)
- Revlon Prepares New ‘Storytelling’ Ad Strategy
- Dr. Seuss: Before He Drew Great Children’s Illustrations, He Drew Great Ads
- Angry Birds‘ Newest Slingshot Is the Real Space Needle
- The True Origins of Pizza
Digital & Social Media News and Resources
- Creative Social: Thoughts from SXSW and Top Tips for 2013
- Tech Companies Control the Future of News
- Google+ vs. Facebook: Which Is Best for Business?
- The Real Reason Google Bought Kevin Rose and Milk: It Needs Designers
- 5 Interesting Pinterest Marketing Campaigns
- The Most Important Topics to Pinterest Users
- Facebook Sets High Asking Price for Log-Out Ads: $700K A Day
- An App That Generates Gorgeous Infographics About Your Facebook Usage
- Google Analytics Update Connects Social Marketing with the Bottom Line
- Do Groupon and LivingSocial Do More Harm Than Good?