This Week In Brand Strategy & Marketing
PSFK curates some of the strategy, digital and creative advertising news catching our attention.
- 16 june 2012
We’re back with our weekly recap of the interesting and inspiring, with a particular eye for what shifts and ideas brands should be tracking, evaluating and acting on. This is a collection of some standout business strategy, brand-building and digital media stories catching our attention.
Discussions Shaping Strategy, Creativity & Innovation
- Social Media Is Getting Serious. Finally. (on a new paradigm, moving from ad & promotions to Social CRM)
- Social Media Is A Part of the User Experience (moving beyond the ‘share this’, ‘follow us’ approach in site design)
- The Limitations of Social Discovery
- Cultural Standpoints (submissions from VCU Brandcenter Graduates)
- On the Future of Personal Data Tracking
- What’s the Future of the Sharing Economy?
- America’s Most Innovative Neighborhood: 15 Square Miles in New Mexico (Population, 0)
- The Technology in Our Lives, and How to Make It Work Better (advice on making technology work to make our lives easier – and not more complicated)
- The Advertising Agency Business Is Dead (polarizing headline; a point of view on an industry in the midst of redefinition)
- Mobile Payments: A Trillion Dollar Industry, Once Everyone Can Actually Make a Payment (on the need to develop for the masses)
Notable Ideas: New Products, Platforms and Projects
- Custora: The Startup Helping Fab and Etsy Court Customers (predictive analytics)
- Take My Money, HBO!
- Nike+ Kinect Training for XBOX360
- The Culture of Reddit
- Face.com (Free face recognition API)
- Sean Parker’s Airtime Launches (sharing experiences with people you know and don’t know, through video)
- Silicon Valley As the New Hollywood
- Obama Directs All Federal Agencies to Have An API
Brands, Companies and Entities of Note (some more obvious than others)n
- On American Express‘ Spend Graph
- JetBlue Develops a Game Show for the Internet Age
- Tide Responds to Onion Article
- Tesco Snack Brand Llama’s to Pen Sun Column
- Audi Case Study: The Mark of the Classic
- GOOD Mag to Be a ‘Reddit for Social Good’ (the shame)
Digital & Social Media News and Resources
- Facebook Launches First Mobile-Only Ad Product
- Facebook Reportedly Developing Technology to ‘Friend’ Kids Under 13
- Taking Flight: #Twitterbird (a new brand identity for Twitter)
- Is Twitter Becoming Anti-Social?
- The Most Magical Event in Twitter History Just Happened
- Pinterest Now En Español
- Social Shopping On the Rise with Open Graph
- Sketching a New Mobile Web