Core77 has announced the winners of its 2012 Design Awards, with over 200 recipients across 17 categories covering all aspects of design from 22 countries. Below is a selection of new and innovative products that received awards:
- zSpace – a new 3D visualization tool that enables designers, engineers and filmmakers to build, manipulate and view objects in 3D with CAD in real-time high-definition.
- Revolights – a bike lighting system consisting of two narrow rings of LEDs that mount directly to each bike wheel, enabling 360° visibility to shared road traffic and illuminating the rider’s forward path.
- Philips FreeStreet – a lighting system that eliminates traditional street light poles, instead connecting a string of LEDs along narrow cables which are virtually invisible during the day.
- The Nest Learning Thermostat – a thermostat that programs itself by learning about you, your lifestyle and home environment to develop a customized and efficient temperature schedule.
- Channel of Mindfulness – a project inspired by the Tibetan Prayer Wheel that works to bring mindfulness or present, purposeful non judgmental thought to bear in our everyday life.
- Future Visions for Synthetic Biology – two concepts that explore the creation of living designs through science; personal microbial culture and packaging that creates its own contents.
- Blush Lamp – an ambient lamp that is set within drywall and painted over to make it invisible. When turned on, the lamp pulsates slowly with a pink light that glows through the surface of the wall.
- Airship Sunrise – a thermal airship that generates lift and thrust only by solar irradiance, designed to accomplish aerial missions based on low speeds and long flight duration such as patrolling, filming, and observations.