PSFK Conference SF Recap: Thoughtful Change
At PSFK Conference SF, Jean-Marie Shields (Starbucks) discussed how brands can connect with consumers by converting ideas into Thoughtful Change. Some insights:
- Traditional Culture = Utilitarian, sell a need, production centered
- Consumer Culture = only good until 2009, Experiential
- Re-Imagined Culture = Creative consumption
- Be close to consumers and understand their need and aspirations to be able to address them and exceed them
- Surveyed before and after emotions of Starbucks consumers (dreary to peppy)
- Ways to understand needs and aspirations:
- – use macrotrend to bring relevance (look sideways), follow them from year to year
- – ** Wellbeing Trend = physical + mental + spiritual
- _*** Raw food, quality ingredients, upleveling of ingredients (once you go up, its hard to go back down), no empty choice, provide shelter and a respite (lounge/relaxation space/get back to nature/escape), playfulness (allow room for play/communal tables/recycled building marterials/showing character/books and reading), upcycling (using recycled materials to make things look interesting)
- No easy task. Brand + Culture + Trend + People/Consumer + Global = Opportunity + Conversion = Thoughtful Solution
- Monitor macrotrends annually. Use trends that are appropriate to your brand.
- Find specialists in each area the help implement. Be a generalist, but respect specialists.
- Educate, educate, educate, The art is in conversation. (if you know you’re right keep saying it and build trust – but be ready to fail)
- Enable direct conversation: My Starbucks Idea
- Pay attention to the top ideas and the bottom ideas (the ones from early adopters and difficult customers)
- Celebrate community usage
- Let the community decides
- Embrace unintended uses and ideas
- Celebrate unique behavior in core consumers
Learn About Our Membership Services
Need Research Help?
As a member you can ask us any research questions and get complimentary research assistance with a 4-day turnaround. Reports inclde stats, quotes, and best-inclass examples on research topics.
Remain Informed & Strategic
We publish several trends reports each month. By becoming a member you will have access to over 100 existing reports, plus a growing catalog of deep topical analysis and debrief-style reports so you always remain in the know.