This Week In Brand Strategy & Marketing
PSFK curates some of the strategy, digital and creative advertising news catching our attention.
We’re back with our weekly recap of the interesting and inspiring, with a particular eye for what shifts and ideas brands should be tracking, evaluating and acting on. This is a collection of some standout business strategy, brand-building and digital media stories catching our attention.
Discussions Shaping Strategy, Creativity & Innovation
- The Future of Advertising: Many Lightweight Interactions Over Time
- Disruptive Innovation Explained
- How Computers Are Creating a Second Economy without Workers
- The Internet Is Ruining Your Brain
- Meet Generation C: The Connected Customer
- Want Breakthrough Ideas? First, Listen to the Freaks & Geeks
- What Fuels the Most Influential Tweets?
- The Misfit Economy: What Do Google and Gangsters Have In Common? (innovation starts at the bottom)
- Guide To Creating Personas
Notable Ideas: New Products, Platforms and Projects
- Caine’s Arcade (the imagination and persistence of a child)
- CondeNast Goes Shopping, Spends $14MM On ZipList
- Nike Fuelband‘s Calorie-Tracking: How Many Calories Can You Burn Smoking a Cigarette, Having Sex, etc.?
- Boxfish: Search every word spoken on TV
- Spotify ‘Play’ Button
- Wavii Repackages the News for the Facebook Generation
- 10 Benefits to Using Springpad’s Social Notebooks
- Tippex‘s latest interactive, choose-your-adventure YouTube campaign
Brands, Companies and Entities of Note (some more obvious than others)
- Here Is Why Facebook Bought Instagram
- Is Path Next?
- Apple Is About to Be Worth More Than All The Companies in Spain, Portugal and Greece Combined
- How GM Is Saving Cash Using Legos as A Data Visualization Tool
- McDonalds‘ Reflective Billboard (visible only at night)
- Inside Look at HBO’s Social TV Strategy for ‘Game Of Thrones’
- Birchbox Man Launches A $20/Month Subscription Service and a New Online Store for the Gents
Digital & Social Media News and Resources
- How Much Is A Tweet Worth? About 1/10,000 As Much As A Yelp Review
- Study: Young Consumers Switch Media 27 Times An Hour
- Nearly Half of American Adults Are Now Smartphone Owners
- 10 of the Weirdest Pins on Pinterest (funny)
- Toward A Simpler, More Beautiful Google (and a redesigned Google+, specifically)
- Will Brands See User Engagement on Google+?
- Facebook Offers More Disclosure to Users
- Most Millennials Rarely Visit Facebook Fan Pages
- Study Finds Facebook Ads Have Higher Clickthrough Rates on Weekends
- Tumblr Tests New Tools for Users and Brands
- YouTube Makes More 3D Video Available
During a webinar on Thursday July 13th at 10am, the PSFK research team will be presenting findings from our most recent report, Future of Manufacturing. For this project, we looked at how brands and organizations can meet elevated consumer needs and combat increased market competition by leveraging connected technologies that give total insights to manage their end-to-end operations and the opportunity to integrate cutting-edge technologies to reinvent supply chains.
Christina Agapakis, creative director at Ginkgo Bioworks, discussed how she uses her background in science and collaborates with engineers, designers, artists and social scientists to explore the many unexpected connections between microbiology, technology, art and popular culture.