This Week In Brand Strategy & Marketing
PSFK curates some of the strategy, digital and creative advertising news catching our attention this week.
We’re back with our weekly recap of the interesting and inspiring, with a particular eye for what shifts and ideas brands should be tracking, evaluating and acting on. This is a collection of some standout business strategy, brand-building and digital media stories catching our attention.
Discussions Shaping Strategy, Creativity & Innovation
- Marketers Have it Wrong: Forget Engagement. Customers Want Simplicity.
- CEOs Question Value of Marketing (when it’s disconnected from business results)
- Reversing the Tide of Declining Expectations (an argument that design can do more than just ‘solve problems’)
- Mobile: The Biggest Change to Hit Retailing in 50 Years
- Digital Payments: Still Too Costly for Small Business
- Don’t Indulge. Be Happy.
- The Digital Age, Memory and Learning (are our memories atrophying?)
- How Millennials Are Spending Their Precious Dollars on CPG
- Survey: Which Brands are Dream Clients for Agencies, and Which Are Nightmares?
- Mirror vs. Magnet: Percolate’s Approach to Brand Listening
Notable Ideas: New Products, Platforms and Projects
- Meet the 2012 Creativity 50
- The Setup: What Do People Use to Get Stuff Done?
- How Amazon’s Same Day Delivery Plan Will Kill Your Local Stores
- How Parse Could Change the Way the Entire App Industry Works
- Fancy to Compensate Users for their Influence
- How Good Design Can Guide People to Smarter Money Decisions
- The Invisible Bank: How Kenya Has Beaten the World in Mobile Money
- Foap: A New App to Help You Sell Your iPhone Photos
- Spinlister (essentially AirBnB for bike rentals)
- “Overdressed”‘s author provides tips for avoiding fast fashion frenzy and still spending less on clothes
Brands, Companies and Entities of Note (some more obvious than others)n
- Leap Motion: the Most Important New Technology Since the Smartphone? (a $70 gesture control system)
- Target, Neiman Marcus Enlist 24 CFDA Designers for Joint Collaboration
- The Shocking Original Logos of 10 Major Companies
- Kraft Mac & Cheese: Dinner Not Art
- Taco Bell vs. Old Spice: The Twitter War That Wasn’t
- How Taco Bell, Draftfcb Executed ‘Operation Alaska’
- Nike Challenges Ban On Its Promoted Tweets in the UK
- Coke’s Happiness Islands
Digital & Social Media News and Resources
- The State of Social Media and Social Media Marketing in the Second Half of 2012
- Evolving Ecommerce Checkout
- Designing for Context: The Multiscreen Ecosystem
- Zuckerberg: Mobile is Facebook’s Biggest Challenge
- Facebook Determined to Ruin the Last Good Thing About Facebook: Stalking
- Facebook Tab Engagement Drops Sharply with Timeline for Pages
- How to Determine Facebook and Twitter ROI
- In the Name of Consistency, Twitter Releases New Apps for iPhone and Android (consistency between mobile and desktop UX)
- Eliminating the Speed Delays with Mobile Web Shopping
To move beyond novelty activations and one-time gimmicks, PSFK equips marketers with the insights, templates and analytics to develop high-reach campaigns that meet consumers in the moment, collect and build upon experiential data, and build scale through content creation.