Live Data: How Gen Z Differ From Millennials
To understand a shifting mindset, PSFK's polled its research panel to compare the attitudes and values of Gen Z to those of Millennials
Gen Z are purpose-driven, independent innovators, designing new methods, growing ideas and developing products. Their minds are set on change, upheaval, transformation and breakthrough—whether it’s norms, expectations, standards, definitions and beyond.
Members of Gen Z place a high importance on personal identity and purpose and will not tolerate being treated as ‘Millennial-lite.’ They expect brands to understand and engage around their unique traits. To understand this shifting mindset, PSFK’s polled its research panel (the Purple Panel) to compare the attitudes and values of Generation Z to those of Millennials.
GEN Z BELIEVE THEY CAN CHANGE THE WORLD
- Like Millennials, Gen Z is passionate and open-minded, but they are more certain in their abilities to affect change
- Half of Gen Z (46%) feel that they can definitely contribute to changing the world, a 6% increase from Millennials
AND THEY WANT BRANDS TO HELP THEM
- 2/3 of Gen Z believe that brands should help them
achieve personal goals and aspirations, a 7% increase from Millennials
- They expect brands to provide more than just a product or service—they want brand-led education and resources to help affect change affect change
BUT THEY ALSO WANT TO HELP THEMSELVES.
- 9 in 10 Gen Z use health and lifestyle habits to help control their mental attitude
- Unlike older generations, Gen Z is proactive in terms of mental health and is willing to take personalized initiatives to positively shape their own mindsets
GEN Z DRIVES TECH USAGE SHIFT…
- There’s a drop off in computer and laptop usage between Millennials (29% ) and Gen Z (14%), signaling the Death of the Desktop as an educational or engagement platform
- Their increased reliance on phones and tablets for online access demonstrates a desire to be connected, but to do so in the context of their real lives
BUT THEY USE IT TO CARE.
- 9 in 10 Gen Z say that they use technology to better understand people
- Gen Z feels that they can create change and they use technology to explore where change is needed
For a breakdown of the raw survey data, Premium members can find it in the Forecast Z report file download.
About: PSFK’s Forecast Z Survey was conducted in December 2017, in which over 500 US-based Gen Z and Millennials answered questions and offered insight about the changes and differences between the two generations.
PSFK’s CXI 2018 conference brings to life key trends in customer experience through talks and activations by pioneers at well known and new companies.
Bethany is the Co-Founder of Tech Will Save Us, which teaches multiple skills related to technology and design and provides DIY kits allowing makers to build their own devices with no soldering required. Her work regularly extends into design, art direction, and helping brands and businesses imagine a more positive and collaborative future with technology. She is currently based in London, overseeing all aspects of Technology Will Save Us with a focus on communications, partnerships and brand experience.