Amazon To Share Profits When Customers Buy Within Alexa Skills

Amazon To Share Profits When Customers Buy Within Alexa Skills
Delivery & Logistics

Amazon announced that developers will get a large cut of in-skill transactions as an incentive to get more people building for its library

Alex Shultz
  • 4 may 2018

Amazon is opening the floodgates for developers by announcing that it will allow additional purchases in Alexa Skills. Previously, there weren’t many avenues for developers to profit off of Alexa devices and apps (referred to as “skills” by Amazon). As part of the new arrangement, developers will receive 70% of all in-skill transactions, with Amazon taking the remaining 30%. For Amazon Prime users, an extra discount will be applied to anything they buy.

Amazon says there are roughly 40,000 skills already in existence. Games are perhaps the most obvious beneficiaries of the change, but other premium content could include early access to podcasts. Fast Company reports that, like the Apple Store, some in-skill purchases will be one-offs, while others will be subscription-based. And that’s not all: Amazon is also letting outside companies sell their products through Alexa devices in conjunction with the Amazon Pay service. A consumer could buy movie tickets, for example, by verbally requesting them via Alexa.

Alexa Skills

Amazon is opening the floodgates for developers by announcing that it will allow additional purchases in Alexa Skills. Previously, there weren’t many avenues for developers to profit off of Alexa devices and apps (referred to as “skills” by Amazon). As part of the new arrangement, developers will receive 70% of all in-skill transactions, with Amazon taking the remaining 30%. For Amazon Prime users, an extra discount will be applied to anything they buy.

+AI
+AI
+amazon
+Amazon Alexa
+Apple
+artificial intelligence
+Delivery & Logistics
+developers
+Frictionless Transaction
+gaming
+Gaming & Play
+home
+internet of things
+IoT
+retail
+technology
+Transactions & Payments
+voice
+work

Learn About Our Membership Services

Need Research Help?
As a member you can ask us any research questions and get complimentary research assistance with a 4-day turnaround. Reports inclde stats, quotes, and best-inclass examples on research topics.
Remain Informed & Strategic
We publish several trends reports each month. By becoming a member you will have access to over 100 existing reports, plus a growing catalog of deep topical analysis and debrief-style reports so you always remain in the know.
See Trends Come To Life
Meet your peers and immerse yourself in monthly trend and innovation webinars and discounted conferences.
No search results found.